West Tatras

It is the biggest part of the Tatras located both in Poland and Slovakia. The area of the Western Tatras is about 400 square kilometres, which is almost a half of the total area of the Tatras. 25 % of the area of the Western Tatras is in Poland, the other 75% is in Slovakia. There are much fewer mountain lakes than in the High Tatras; the biggest one is Niżni Staw Rohacki, in the Polish Tatras the biggest one is Smreczyński Staw.

The peaks of the Tatras, except Mt Rohacze and Mt Giewont, have gentle and domed shapes. However, they are more attractive for tourists as they have more alpine alps and naked mountain peaks overgrown with low grass which offer extensive views. There are many more caves and large karst springs. Limestones create numerous crags and very steep walls with many climbing routes. There are marked trails for hikers, ski runs and bike routes. There are 7 mountain shelters in the Western Tatras (4 in Poland, 3 in Slovakia).

In Poland:

  • PTTK mountain shelter in Hala Kondratowa,
  • PTTK mountain shelter in Hala Ornak,
  • PTTK mountain shelter in Polana Chochołowska,
  • Mountain Hotel in Polana Kalatówki.

In Slovakia:

  • Mountain shelter in Zwerowka,
  • Żarskie mountain shelter,
  • Czerwieniec mountain hut,
  • Raczkowa RV campground.

Caves Open for Exploration:

  • with illumination, a guide and admission fee: Jaskinia Mroźna,
  • for individual exploration: Jaskinia Mylna, Jaskinia Raptawicka, Jaskinia Obłazkowa, Smocza Jama, Dziura.

The Western Tatras are a part of Tatra National Park. There is small admission fee collected by Tatra National Park and the Association of Eight Entitled Villages which owns a part of the Western Tatras in the valleys: Kościeliska, Lejowa and Chochołowska


Szlaki Turytyczne w Tatrach

Zobacz mapę